Monday, August 06, 2007

This past Saturday, Parts 1 and 2

1.
This past weekend I was able to attend a going away party of sorts for my good friend Brett and his wife Angela. They are leaving in a few weeks for Gabon, Africa. From the various conversations I had at the party I have learned a few of the things that will be occupying their time while there. They will be;

teaching English as a second language for at least one year.
avoiding riots (apparently, one this year or next will not come as a shock to anyone)
trying to avoid 3 of the world’s 5 most venomous snakes that reside in Gabon (according to Brett, 2 of them are jittery, nervous snakes. The other one you can pretty much poke with a stick or grab, so apparently its not a big deal).

I find myself envious of their ensuing voyage, with the exception of the 2 snakes of course. Please keep both of them (Brett and Angela, not the snakes) in your prayers as they set out on this adventurous new chapter in their lives.

2.
As the previously mentioned going away party slipped later into the Perry afternoon, a few of us sat down in some lawn chairs to relax and chat. We discussed how one another’s lives were going, who had new jobs, and who had sold PS3’s to Nigerian businessmen. The conversation then shifted into the realm of marriage, something relatively new to nearly the entire group. It was then that I felt compelled to share a brief story from my own month old venture into the world of married life. Here I recount that story.

Apparently I sleep walk. It’s weird I guess, but I do. I suppose I had forgotten that fact having been living by myself for a few months. I was reminded of the (slightly embarrassing) truth a few nights ago however when, in my sleep, I got up, walked around the foot of the bed, and stood next to my sleeping wife Chelsea. It was then that I began to push her to the side of the bed I had recently vacated. As she awoke and asked me what I was doing, I began to get under the covers in her spot while telling her gruffly “This is where the husbands sleep.” It was at that moment that my sleep walking wore off and I realized what I was doing/saying. Embarrassed and slightly confused, I decided to act as if nothing was wrong. I laid my head on her pillow and ignored her requests for an explanation. As I began to fall back asleep, hoping that by the morning she would think it was all a weird dream, Chelsea informed me that if I stayed there I would be responsible for turning off her alarm in the morning. That was apparently too much for me so I awkwardly climbed over her and switched back to our normal sleeping positions. I guess that’s married life for you.

1 comment:

natewoods said...

Marc,
That post was awesome, except for the part about selling a PS3... "This is where husbands sleep"