Monday, July 30, 2007

I love Nascar

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to attend the Nascar AllState 400 at the Brickyard in Indy. While I've been to the 500 before, this was my first Nascar race. I wouldn't call myself a racing fan so to speak, but I enjoy a unique experience as much as anyone, and this is what I was expecting. I also really don't know much about racing in general and there are a lot of things i don't understand. For instance, it makes no sense to me that each time there is a Caution, everybody has to stop and surrender whatever lead they had managed to build up. Asking the man in the Dale Earnhardt Jr. shirt and matching hat to my right I learned that there is in fact a reason for this; "It's racing, man, thats what they do" (followed by look of unbelief).

I did enjoy myself at the race regardless of my lack of racing knowledge. There were a surprising 5 wrecks in the first 58 laps. Not that I enjoy seeing a man lose control of his car, crash into a wall at 180 mph, and burst into flames, but it certainly was an interesting break from the laps on uninterrupted left turns.

Another major draw (or detraction depending on your idea of fan support) are the racing fans. An entirely different breed of sporting fan if I do say so myself. From initial observations, this group has some sort of aversion to the wearing of shirts of any type and shorts not made of denim. They also hold an unswerving, if not religious, alligience to "their driver." Fists are pumped in the air as "their" car races past at breakneck speeds, causing beer to cascade down the shirtless sweating backs of other euphoric fans. Beautiful to say the least.

I'll leave you readers with a nearly exact quotation from the Tony Stewart fan sitting behind me;
(to another fan) "Whew, I'm getting drunk here and just lovin my life. Someone did just break through my house last night, but (sound of cars racing by)...and i've been drinking since 7:00 this morning...(car goes by)...and if this isn't the best day i've had in 3 years I don't know what is."

Pure unadulterated love of Sport. Enough said.

1 comment:

::athada:: said...

I love Marc's writing.

Bandito numero dos esta aqui.