Friday, February 01, 2008

Promises Fulfilled

I’m relatively sure I’ve lost whatever reader base this blog may have once had by posting on average a pathetic once a month. This post may not be the resurrection of my blog some readers (my mom) would like it to be, but I wanted to put this up anyway. I know it’s late for a “Best of 07” list (already February) but I’ve had a few friends ask for music suggestions and I’ve told myself I would post a Fav Albums of 2007 for 5 weeks now. By the way, I would love to hear your favorites of 07. I’m sure I missed a lot of good stuff out there. Here we go...

My Favorite Albums of 2007
Broken Social Scene Presents: Kevin Drew, Spirit If...
I’ve been hooked on Broken Social Scene since I heard (and was slightly creeped out by) Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl while eating dinner at my friend Maggie’s house a number of years ago. If I was forced to describe BSS I think I’d settle on highly instrumental indie pop. The (at times) 20+ member group is still present on this album, but with Kevin Drew (founding father) at the helm for songwriting and lead vocals, it seems a little trimmed down from their other stuff. This album can draw you into each song, or provide wonderful background tunes. Favorite track, the garbled campfire tune When It Begins.

Jay-Z, American Gangster
I’m really not a big fan of the hip hop scene. I pretty much limit myself to Wyclef Jean, Ghostface Killah, and Jay-Z. Since The Black Album, I knew that Jay-Z was one of the few artists who could really transcend his genre, and appeal to people outside of the hip hop community. This album is not the soundtrack to the movie of the same name. Apparently ‘Hova was inspired by the film, went home and pumped out this soulful gem, filled with slick, beautifully crafted language, and plenty of trumpets and horns. Check out Roc Boys for a little taste.

Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
For some reason I decided not to like this band after their breakout smash album Funeral. I gave there acclaimed second album no notice, and I really don’t know why. I was fine with ignoring it all together until I came across this link. And like that I was sold. I went out and bought the album, even if for only the title track Neon Bible. I wasn’t disappointed. Download Antichrist Television Blues immediately.

Band of Horses, Cease to Begin
I’ve read at least 5 reviews likening Band of Horses to a meeting between My Morning Jacket and The Shins. I’d say that was cheapening their uniqueness if it didn’t feel so accurate. While I was skeptical that this album would top their first, Everything All the Time, I knew it was one I couldn’t pass over. And wow, I’m glad I didn’t. It doesn’t really have the breakout jams like Funeral or Great Salt Lake, but the genuine lyrics and echo-y vocals by Ben Bridwell make this at least as good, if not better, than their first album. Personal favorite is No Ones Gonna Love You.

Iron & Wine, The Shepherd’s Dog
This album surprised me. One of the reasons I had come to enjoy Sam Beam so much was for his choice to regularly forgo the clatter of a full band. I’d come to cherish the simplicity of his quiet guitar plucking and his own whispery, image laiden lyrics. And then I was met with multiple guitars, piano and even backup vocals (!!) on the opening track, “Pagan Angel and a Borrowed Car.” I was turned off only momentarily until I was brought back in by the reassuring sounds of Beam’s vocals, hardly diminished by the presence of a full band. And it isn’t ever really a full band sound. He never loses the ability to make me feel like I’m overhearing someone playing music not meant for the general public. It takes a special person to relay that sense of vulnerability and honesty through music, and Sam Beam is that person. Get Resurrection Fern, then go listen to it on repeat, by yourself.

The National, Boxer
1. Acquire album. 2. Get past lead singer Matt Berninger’s somber vocals, and listen. This is certainly one of those “acquired tastes.” It took me a few listens before I really began to connect with it. But then, oh then, it was wonderful. The horns, the fluctuating tempos, the driving percussion. Pitchfork called this “the rare album that gives back whatever you put into it.” This was the case for me. These songs really became personal, with moods all their own, and more and more so as I grew familiar with it. Download Racing Like A Pro or Fake Empire and try not to fall in love, I dare you.

Radiohead, In Rainbows
Can you not love Radiohead? I mean seriously, wow. Since the release of the groundbreaking Kid A, I’ve anticipated their subsequent releases with a ferocity I reserve for no other band. And while my anticipation for this album was no different, in another way, it was totally different. In case you didn’t hear, Radiohead, one of the biggest and most popular bands on the planet, gave this album away for FREE. One of the only bands that could get away with charging as much as they wanted, only asked their fans to pay as much as they wanted. On their website, buyers could pay as little or as much as they wanted for this record. Some paid none. I paid a little over $5.00.
All that aside, this album is incredible. Following the Radiohead-esque theme of making music that sounds totally different from everything else they’ve made previously (with the exception of Kid A and Amnesiac), this album stands alone as one of their best examples of innovative music releases in recent memory. I’ve said enough. Listen to 15 Step and decide for yourself.

Okkervil River, The Stage Names
They’ve been described as “hyper-literate” rock. And no, I don’t know what that means, other than their lyrics seem to go far beyond the standard amount of story telling in music, without hitting you over the head with an intro, plot, and rising and falling action. When I listen to this record I can’t help but feel like Will Sheff is talking (yelling) to me and trying to convey something terribly important, real and present to him. Not a lot of music gives me that sense of realism, especially every single time I listen to it. And maybe that’s why I love this so much. Whether I’m driving in the car, washing dishes, or lifting at the gym, this album always hits me with the “first time I heard it” emotional response. And it’s not just this individual album, but nearly their entire collected works that affect me in this way. Okkervil River is one of the few bands that give me the experience of feeling as if their music may in fact, be mine. That I wrote it and performed it and know exactly what it means, because it belongs to me. I doubt this album hit the top spots on many critical “Best Of..” lists, but for me, this is my favorite album of 2007.

(Updated) And just in case you need more, please check out the songs For Real below and Westfall

4 comments:

natewoods said...

marc,

your taste in music is transcendent. I'm going to pop in "Crash" and not go through the effort of learning new stuff.

::athada:: said...

So the new IRon and Wine is worth getting?

Piggybacking,
-at-

Marc Buwalda said...

Adam,

I would certainly recommend it. It's different but in a fun way.

Nate,

Get real.

Stranger Passing said...

Marc-

Solid blog, I am inclined to agree with the majority of your reviews, excepting Jay-Z and Radiohead, as I have not listened to either. Okkervil River’s album is certainly a possibility for number one.

The only omission I felt inclined to comment on was Bright Eyes’ Cassadaga, as well as their LP Four Winds. Both of them showed a maturing both musically and lyrically, and overall I thought they were both excellent CDs. It made my top ten for the year. You didn’t like it?

Not too far behind was Spoon’s Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, which I still listen to somewhat frequently.

Also, Lost Season 4 premiere…best written show on Television, great first episode.